Enjoy Your English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inAll MailMessengers
Think why you are in this world.
Stay Informed
Be Informed of What is New on Time !!
Leave Your Email Address to Tell You :
Email:

PG Wodehouse

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
dorothy

dorothy

Age : 56 Registration date : 2008-11-01 Number of posts : 15 Location : Poland

PG Wodehouse Vide
PostSubject: PG Wodehouse   PG Wodehouse Icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2008 8:12 pm

Hello,
My first meeting with PG Wodehouse took place 10 years ago, or so. I was given a tape with "Heavy Weather". At the time my English was rather poor and I didn`t understood most of this record. However, the fragments I understood were really funny. So I clenched my teeth and was listening to the tape many many times. Every time finding something new and hilarious. The reader - Martin Jarvis - did his best changing his voice, accent, intonation depending on a character. "His" lady Constance Keeble was marvellous. Thus my adventure with this author began.
PG Wodehouse created the world full of charming but completely absent-minded lords ( my favourite character is lord Emsworth from Blandigs series ), butlers-erudites, distinguished ladies and their light-hearted nephews. Things that happens to heros and heroines are incredible and highly far-fetched. They`re getting more and more complicated - in a vaudeville - like style - with every page, reminding of the Gordian Knot at the end of the book. But of course, somehow everything ends well. Of course it does.
If you like an old fashioned sense of humour try PG Wodehouse. Maybe some catchphrases are out of date but there is still charm in it.

Dorota

ps. If any of you would like to listen to "Heavy Weather" mp3, please contact me.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Age : Registration date : 2008-08-27 Number of posts : 80 Location :
Character sheet
best pet:

PG Wodehouse Vide
PostSubject: Re: PG Wodehouse   PG Wodehouse Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 11:20 am

Hi Dorota,
Thank you very much for this nice introducing of your experience with Wodehouse. I never read for Wodehouse but hope to do soon. Your exposure is very impressive- it is a kind of piece of literature in itself king

Best wishes
Back to top Go down
http://www.enjoyyourenglish.co.cc
dorothy

dorothy

Age : 56 Registration date : 2008-11-01 Number of posts : 15 Location : Poland

PG Wodehouse Vide
PostSubject: Re: PG Wodehouse   PG Wodehouse Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 8:57 pm

Hello S.G.
Thank you for your warm comment. To tell the truth - and Wodehouse`s fans will kill me for what I`m going to say - when you read his 6th or 7th book, you`ve got an impression they are very similar. I mean, the ways Wodehouse constructs and develops the plot are very alike. That`s why I used the word "vaudeville-like", which is - in that case - a synonime of VERY complicated situations and the VERY happy ends. But generally it`s a kind of optimistic and frivolous literature, just for fun and for gloomy autumn evenings.
The interesting thing is that this witty author has still his admirers. The PG Wodehouse Society exists in the United Kingdom. On the Internet one can find a site dedicated to Jeeves, the buttler of an impeccable manners ( for me he`s almost a quintesence of Englishness, ha ha ha !)
And you?
Have you got any favourite book?
A book you read more than once?
A favourite character?
Or maybe you are a comics` fan?!
Do you like reading in bus, trains, on your way to work?
Is there any book that has made you irritated a lot lately?
It would be pleasure to read about your "book preferences".

See you soon,
Dorota
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Character sheet
best pet:

PG Wodehouse Vide
PostSubject: Re: PG Wodehouse   PG Wodehouse Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2008 1:19 am

Dear Dorota,
Thank you for your kind reply and your question about my reading, and sorry for my late reply.

For me, I like the didactic literature. For literature is mostly thought to be aimed at either pleasure or reformation or both of them, I always prefer to read didactic literature like Christopher Marlowe's Doctor Faustus, which is one of the most pieces of literature that attract me since it does not speak about direct or explicit sins like steal or criminal acts rather it speaks about potential sins that could hide under the flesh of someone and within his chest, which is Pride; a sin of a man who achieved a high level in all fields of science and thus thought himself to be more than a man.

I am not unwilling to read, on the other hand, the works of literature that in the most part aim at pleasure. In this concern, I like the works of melancholy like Thomas Hardy's Jude the Obscure, and the works of romanticism like Coleridge's poems.

My experience in literature is very poor, in both Arabic and English literature.
For my interest in literature was my fancy, I rushed to hold a pen and write some parts of my soul. This was not easy because my reading is very poor, but finally I wrote some poems in Arabic and only one poetry experiment in English which is "Thy flashing Eyes in the Sky" that is published on this website, and I am still not sure if they really can be a kind of pieces of literature or just very poor writings. I will expose my Arabic works to some literary-experienced people to get their estimation soon.

This is a quick snap of my venture with Literature.
By the way, if it comes that you read one of the book titles mentioned in this post, I would be very pleased to read your comments and estimation to it.

Thank you for your kind interest.
Wishes,
Sofia Grain

Last edited by Admin on Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
cuty

cuty

Age : 34 Registration date : 2008-08-31 Number of posts : 51 Location :

PG Wodehouse Vide
PostSubject: Re: PG Wodehouse   PG Wodehouse Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2008 3:36 pm

Hi Admin..Hi dorota.how r u ? Very Happy ..thanks admin u gave me ahint about DR.FAUSTUS..I'm reading it for my drama course..Idon't know why..Ithink it would be great if it was made as amovie(like harry potter) Very Happy
I also read astory entitled (every man) and -till now- it's the most realistic,wonderfull piece I'v ever read..
Now Ican use ur comment Admin -if u don't mind- and participate in the drama open-discussion lecture Cool that won't be cheating right??or it would be (plagiarism)??? Very Happy
T.C
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Character sheet
best pet:

PG Wodehouse Vide
PostSubject: Re: PG Wodehouse   PG Wodehouse Icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2008 2:54 am

Thank you Cuty for your kind comment. You are free to use what you like .. Smile Smile Smile

By the way, you are now more shining with your avatar ( the small picture with your name).

Have a happy time !!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PG Wodehouse Vide
PostSubject: Re: PG Wodehouse   PG Wodehouse Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

PG Wodehouse

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Enjoy Your English :: English Literature :: English Literature -