Enjoy Your English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inAll MailMessengers
Think why you are in this world.
Stay Informed
Be Informed of What is New on Time !!
Leave Your Email Address to Tell You :
Email:

Every one makes mistakes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
heron

heron

Age : 39 Registration date : 2008-08-30 Number of posts : 133 Location : Heaven
Character sheet
best pet: Dinosaur

Every one makes mistakes Vide
PostSubject: Every one makes mistakes   Every one makes mistakes Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 7:08 pm

Every one makes mistakes Everyone-makes-mistakes

Site or Sight
A site is a location. A website is a location on the web.

A sight is something that you see. A sight is also the part of a gun used for targeting. When you target something, you have it in your sights.
When tourists go to several locations to look at things, they are visiting the sites to see the sights.

Understanding Who and Whom

Use who as the subject of a sentence, and whom as the object. To help you remember, try substituting "he" or "him." Use "who" where you would use "he," and use "whom" where you would use "him."
Who wants ice cream? He wants ice cream.
Whom is this ice cream for? This ice cream is for him.
He phoned him. Who phoned whom?

Accept and Except
Accept is a verb meaning to receive or give approval to. You can accept a gift, accept an apology, or learn to accept your limitations.
Except is a preposition or conjunction indicating that something is not included. If I like everyone except Bob, it means that I like everyone else, but I don't like Bob.

The two words are easily confused because they sound quite similar, but they are not interchangeable.
Good and Well

Good is an adjective and can only be used to modify nouns. He is good. The kick was good.

Well, unless you are talking about someone's health, is an adverb and is used to modify verbs. He plays well. He kicked the ball well.

It is never correct to say "he played good" or "he kicked the ball good." He is a good player. He kicked the ball well.

Absolute Adjectives

Some adjectives describe absolute conditions. Obvious examples include dead and pregnant. Some less-obvious examples are perfect and unique.

A person is either pregnant or not pregnant, dead or not dead. One person is not more pregnant than another person.

Similarly, something cannot be more perfect than something else. Perfect is perfect.

If something is unique, there is nothing exactly like it in the universe. Something cannot be "very unique" or "more unique." It is unique, or it isn't.

Imply and Infer

To imply is to suggest or hint at something.

To infer is to deduce something or to figure it out.

Joe says to Sam, "Sam, I don't think you got that money from legitimate investments."

Joe is implying that Sam is dishonest. Sam can infer that Joe doesn't trust him.

It's and Its
This is an exception to the usual rules of apostrophe use. Its means "belonging to it." The usual apostrophe is omitted. It's always means "it is." With almost any other word, an apostrophe and "s” can indicate possession.

Example: It's amazing that a dog will chase its own tail.

Example: The company needs to get its books in order before it's too late.

Elude and Allude

To elude is to evade. The fugitive eluded the police. I tried to remember his name, but it eluded me.

To allude is to refer to something in history or literature. "Slings and Arrows" is a show with a title that alludes to Hamlet.

An allusion is a reference to history or literature.

Every one makes mistakes Misunderstanding
Back to top Go down
passion

passion

Age : 41 Registration date : 2009-01-11 Number of posts : 41 Location : Saudi Arabia
Character sheet
best pet: Birds

Every one makes mistakes Vide
PostSubject: Re: Every one makes mistakes   Every one makes mistakes Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 7:28 pm

Nobody is perfect, thank you very much Heron for this precious information. I learned to use these words the right way, without thinking of a rule or looking them up in the dictionary, by listening to native speakers. Thank you again for making such information obvious to me.

Regards

Back to top Go down

Every one makes mistakes

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Enjoy Your English :: English in Use :: Common Mistakes -
Create a forum on Forumotion | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com